Friday, June 5, 2015

Controller Diagram / Schematic, nearly translated!

Hello again friends!  Over the past few weeks, I have made several attempts to get a message through to the folks at Jonway.  This is tough for several reasons.  First, there are so many middle men in the chain that it's hard to find "the guy" that has something technical like a wiring diagram.  Secondly, I don't speak or write in Chinese.  But thanks to Google Translate, I was able to ship off messages to 10 or more people (or generic accounts) and one of them was kind enough to answer me!  Here is the diagram that he provided me.


As you can see - this is a screenshot of an engineering drawing, which was obvious created in China using a simplified Chinese font-set.  I have no chance of translating the smaller text here, because it's just too small to be legible.  No amount of enhancing is going to clear up those little pixel blobs.  I have thanked the sender wholeheartedly, because he is the only one who has helped me this far.  But I also kindly asked if he had something larger to where I could read those little blobs.

In the mean time, I was able to invert this diagram and convert it to a black and white image with Gimp.  Then I was able to scan it with this really nifty OCR site.  From there, I was able to copy and paste the Chinese into Google Translate and pop out the meaning.  Sadly ... some of the characters could not be picked up correctly by the OCR and so some of the translations came out as stuff like "I poke her shirt pole".  And when I was done laughing over that non-sense, I found another nice trick.

This site allows you to draw a Chinese glyph and it will pop up a box of characters for you to pick from.  This is perfect for when you can almost make out a character, but you need a little refinement.  From there ... I was able to make sense of MOST of the diagram.

This is what I have come up with so far ...


The most important thing to me, is the wiring color, which I don't think clearly indicated on this diagram.  Still, this provides some great hints as to how the charger is connected to the controller, and how the shifter should be connected.  I am very close to solving a few wiring mysteries.

Using these same OCR and doodling tricks I also made an attempt to translate the wiring diagram off of the top of the factory stereo.  It was much easier to get to than I thought.  Because when they installed it at the factory they didn't bend those little tabs out to hold the security cage in place.  Grab the front - pull hard - and then you don't have to go under the hood to access your wiring.

I should note that the colors here are relatively worthless.  Because they used different colors to wire it inside of the vehicle!  Oh well?


That's all from me for now folks.  Party on, Urbee owners.

Coming soon - a better manual!  Because he also sent me the manual in PDF form which will allow me to fix up the broken English much easier.

9 comments:

  1. another urbee owner ! i have gone through 2 voltage converters and still no success raising the indicated charge level above the single blinking bar. even though ive driven ~ 20 miles. something tells me the indicator doesnt work but i dont dare go far without knowing for sure. how else could i check the charge ?what sequence of actions do you take to charge yours with and with what transformer ? what does the red and green light do when you do ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could it be true? I have an Urbee friend! Funny story ... I bought mine and it was half drained. And then I went into the trunk and pulled out that 220v adapter. So I emailed the guy who sold it to me, and he claimed ignorance. I can't blame him. But I sort of expected I could plug it into a standard outlet??!?!?

      I plug mine into a "5000 W Watts Step Up/Down Voltage Converter Transformer" that I bought off of eBay. I can recommend the seller, electronicsondeal. He shipped fast (he is in the USA), packed it very well, and the price was decent.

      When I plug mine in it flashes red three or four times. About that same time I hear the fan kick on (on the heat sink just below the controller). And then the light goes solid red. It doesn't go green for 5 hours or so depending on how drained it is.

      One thing that wasn't clear in the manual (written in ENGRISH) was the true purpose of that big shiny, candy-like button. It's a kill-switch. No doubt about that. But when it comes to the charging process, that button needs to be *pulled out* like when you are driving it. And your ignition has to be off too. But I am sure you knew that.

      I would be happy to share other info? I could pop around with a multi-meter if you want to know what I am reading from various points while charging.

      Delete
    2. hi friend, i have a urbee 2 plus it has a 3.5kw controller and one day it suddenly stopped and on controller it is showing a continuous red light. do you know what could be the error. ? or do you have a error code table ?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sunil, sadly no. I never got any more information about the controller. It seems to have been made by a company that doesn't want any recognition and doesn't want to support that product. I removed mine pretty early on and installed a Golden Motor controller in it's place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Steve for your support. I think i should also change the motor controller.

      Delete
  4. Hi steve, just curious if you have the most current version of the original schematics, yes i have one of the critturs, acquired 6 mos ago, is 2014 and had only 120 miles on it, i have since added 1200 but the bats are crapping out so...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello all, I just purchased a brand new one made in 2016 with 10miles on it. The AC isn’t working. Does anyone have a diagram of the AC?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Modified max speed contrôleur URBEE jonway ?

    ReplyDelete